Friday, April 12, 2013

Loyalty programs. Choose wisely.

Loyalty programs such as Sky Miles can become addicting, a game to see how many points you can rack up. I admit, I am as addicted to Sky Miles as anyone else.

But what about other loyalty programs? 

I've joined the Rainforest Cafe's club, Sally Beauty Mart's club, the Vitamin Shoppe's club (though the Vitamin Shoppe is now on the boycott list) and others that have no real value to them.

Plus, you really have to work it. I don't want to put a whole lot of effort into my continuing to shop somewhere. Why should I have to work harder as a loyal consumer?

Two loyalty programs I work:

Target Rewards, wherein I get a 5% off voucher for ever 10 prescriptions filled. Being the Mom of a family of lemons, these coupons come frequently. I can use it with my Target credit or debit card for an additional 5%. This comes in handy for big purchases like iPads or big grocery runs or the never ending supply of jeans my teenager seems to need.

Aveda Pure Privilege. I can redeem points for products purchased for $75 vouchers on a service such as a haircut or color. This one takes monitoring on my part, and is not nearly as easy as Target's. But for $75, I am willing to put in the time.

Loyalty programs should have value and work easily. Unfortunately, few do.

Not a simple loyalty program, but one worth the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment